Important Document Checklist For Every Villa/Apartment Buyer


Legal scrutiny report
Properties having more than six dwelling units or measuring more than 500 sq metres must be registered with state RERA. Details such as the building plan, status and date when the construction began can be checked online. If the developer is unable to complete the project, RERA has powers to delegate the work to another builder for completion. For independent houses, the approval documents can be obtained from the owner and verified by an advocate. For properties that measure below 500 sq. metres or have less than six dwelling units, the buyer may obtain the building plan approval from the seller and have the same verified by a lawyer.

No deviation
A buyer should compare the building plan document with the actual construction and scrutinise if there is any deviation from the plan. In case of any deviation, the builder needs to obtain permission from the CMDA even in case of an approved plan. A revised plan showing the deviations should be submitted for clearance.

Structural stability report
Buying a property is often a lifetime investment, hence it is advisable to assess the strength of the building and its lifetime. For newly constructed apartments, the stability of the building would be mentioned in the building plan, which is approved by CMDA. If one is buying an old property, it is suggested that he appoints an engineer to assess the building and get a structural stability report.

Completion Certificate
The completion certificate is issued by the CMDA if the construction meets the building standards like the presence of rainwater harvesting system, in-situ sewage treatment plants (if an apartment is over 500 sqft), etc. The certificate is mandatory for availing government services like water connection and electricity connection. A completion certificate will not be available for apartments that are under construction.

Joint Development Agreement (JDA)
In the city, many apartments are built under a JDA. It is an agreement signed between the landowner and the developer/builder. The landowner gives the land to the developer to build and sell apartments; in
return, he gets a fixed set of apartments to sell. The landowner issues a JDA to the developer. For properties that are constructed with a JDA, the buyer should inspect the parent deed and other documents as mentioned above. An exception that the JDA has provided is that the buyer cannot be legally charged for car parking space.

Undivided Share (UDS)
It is the ratio of the size of one apartment to the total built-up area of the complex. The sum of UDS of all apartments must be proportionate to the entire size of the plot. An apartment owner should be mindful of scrutinising the UDS value while purchasing an apartment. If the apartment is going to be demolished or reconstructed, the compensation will depend on the UDS in the property. While purchasing a buyer is charged for every square foot of the house, but there may be slight variations. Hence it is safe to scale the flat with the help of an engineer and pay for the actual size of the flat.

Stay Connected

More Updates